[All] CABANA biodiversity workshop in Brazil, 2-4 Sept 2019

Piraveen Gopalasingam piv at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 22:36:27 BST 2019

**

*Dear all,*

*

We are pleased to announce applications are open for a CABANA training
workshop in Brazil this September 2019.

The GCRF-fundedCABANA project <http://www.cabana.online/>is also
delighted to offer travel fellowships of up to £1125 GBP for researchers
to attend these workshops. The fellowships are open to scientists from
Latin America at any stage of their career. Early-stage researchers and
researchers from minority groups are especially encouraged to apply.

Title:Bioinformatics and Biodiversity - Unlocking new tools for
biodiversity research

Venue:Vale Institute of Technology (ITV), Belem, Para, Brazil

Dates:2-4 September 2019

Deadline for Applications: 29th July 2019

Registration fee:130R$

Registration Link:https://forms.gle/S7RCNTdqfWub6bR66

Overview

This workshop will provide training and insights into barcoding and
metabarcoding for biodiversity studies, including general approaches and
technologies in different contexts. Sessions will be delivered by
biodiversity experts from across Latin America and beyond. Sample
collection and processing, selecting appropriate markers and various
analysis methods will be covered and regulatory issues in Latin America
will also be discussed.

Target Audience

This course is aimed at a broad audience. We will welcome researchers
from postgraduate level upwards who conduct biodiversity studies and are
interested in initiating or boosting molecular and computational
approaches to their work. We also welcome participation from those in
industry, government, funding agencies or other stakeholders interested
in establishing projects or programs on the use of molecular tools for
biodiversity assessment, monitoring or species identification.

The workshop will present a higher level view of the topic. Specific
molecular or computational skills are not necessary. However, a general
understanding of molecular approaches will be very useful, as will an
understanding of current practices for biodiversity assessment.

For more information regarding this course, please use the following link:

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/training/events/2019/cabana-workshop-bioinformatics-and-biodiversity-unlocking-new-tools-biodiversity-research

Please forward this call through your networks and local bioinformatics
hubs.

We wish you the best with your applications.

Kind regards

Guilherme Oliveira & Piv Gopalasingam, on behalf of the CABANA Consortium

*

--
Dr. Piv Gopalasingam AFHEA, BSc(Hons)
Scientific Training Officer