[All] Your Digital Mentor Podcast

Piraveen Gopalasingam piv at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Aug 7 12:26:21 BST 2020

Dear all,

Our colleagues at Connecting science and beyond have produced a podcast
series on the topic of mentoring, please read the email below and check
out the episodes, a few of which feature Latin American scientists and
those working in bioinformatics capacity building spaces.

Best wishes and stay safe,

Piv

Dear All,

We launched a new podcast series yesterday, called Your Digital Mentor
Podcast, and we are hopeful it will be a useful resource for early- and
middle- career scientists. We will address topics ranging from
establishing and maintaining a mentoring relationship, to Imposter
Syndrome, Burnout Syndrome, the power of networking, equality and
diversity in science(and why representation matters), among many others!

So please tune in! Our first 3 episodes are already available and you
can find them here
<https://your-digital-mentor.simplecast.com/episodes>. I particularly
found the third episode
<https://your-digital-mentor.simplecast.com/episodes/mentoring-your-mentor>
quite useful, because I always perceived mentoring sessions as being
more of an informal conversation, without much structure, but Dr. Monica
Gandhi, from UCSF,  who has experience running multiple mentoring the
mentor workshops, explains why it’s beneficial to have structured
agendas and follow-ups, so she gives great tips for both mentors and
mentees to make the most of their time. Joining her is Dr. Vidya Mave,
the leader and director of John Hopkins University -India Clinical
research programme, who has a very impressive CV, and is a mentee of Dr.
Gandhi.

In the first episode
<https://your-digital-mentor.simplecast.com/episodes/what-is-mentoring>,
we hear from the extremely experienced Dr. Grace Mwaura, the coordinator
of the African Academy of Sciences (AAS) mentorship scheme, and Dr.
Andres Lescano, from the Cayetano University of Peru, who has trained
hundreds of epidemiologist and had published on the importance of
strengthening mentoring in low- and middle- income countries in order to
advance global health research.

Last but not least, in the second episode
<https://your-digital-mentor.simplecast.com/episodes/establishing-and-maintaining-a-mentoring-relationship>
we have Dr. Amel Ghouila, who coordinates a health data science
programme in Africa, India and Brazil for the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation, and also worked in Bioinformatics capacity building in
Africa with H3ABioNet for over 5 years, and Dr. Palwende Boua, from
Burkina Faso’s Clinical Research Unit of Nanoro, and has taken part of
the AAS mentorship scheme.

I hope some of you will enjoy listening to Your Digital Mentor!

Kind regards,

Isabela Malta,

signature_461614646 <https://your-digital-mentor.simplecast.com/>

*On behalf of Your Digital Mentor podcast;*

*Christine Boinett, Alice Matimba, Emmanuela Oppong and Catherine Holmes*

/“Pay it Forward”/

**

*signature_1436343270
<https://twitter.com/mentor_podcast>**signature_1364335320