[All] UKRI review of Official Development Assistance funding and a request for help

Cath Brooksbank cath at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 11:29:12 GMT 2021

Dear friends of CABANA

By now I’m sure that some of you will be aware of the very unsettling news that UKRI has to review all its Official Development Assistance funding, which includes all GCRF and Newton Fund grants, owing to a budget deficit. The UKRI announcement can be read here <https://www.ukri.org/news/ukri-required-to-review-official-development-assistance-funding/> and the letter that UKRI has written to beneficiaries can be read here <https://www.ukri.org/our-work/ukri-oda-letter-11-march-2021/>.

While we wait for more concrete guidance from BBSRC, we are trying to make the very best of the impact that CABANA has had to date, and prepare a strong case for continuing our activities. The UK research community has prepared an open letter, which will be sent to the UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak, and also to the UK press. You can read the letter at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wdIcqido2EfInzT9ZT4n-idgKdbUuNy7JxiUnbfwrh0/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wdIcqido2EfInzT9ZT4n-idgKdbUuNy7JxiUnbfwrh0/edit?usp=sharing>

Importantly, you can also *sign* the letter at https://forms.gle/9PLbn3mrghegcDcy9 <https://forms.gle/9PLbn3mrghegcDcy9>. I would be extremely grateful if you would consider signing, and encouraging your peers to do so too. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Best wishes

Cath

_____________________________

Cath Brooksbank PhD
Head of Training, EMBL-EBI
www.ebi.ac.uk/training | @EBItraining

Principal Investigator, CABANA
www.cabana.online | @CabanaGcrf

Wellcome Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK
+44 (0)1223 492525
@cathbrooksbank

Need to organise a meeting with me? Please contact Debbie Rice, our Team Admin / PA: debbie.rice at ebi.ac.uk

My preferred pronouns: she, her, hers